The weblog is a term that describes web sites that maintain an ongoing chronicle of information. A blog, which is an abbreviated version of weblog stands for frequently updated, personal website featuring diary-type commentary and links to articles or other Web sites.
Blogs covers the various themes range from the personal to the public ones but can be focused on one narrow subject or a whole range of subjects. Generally speaking, blogs have a few things that are common for all of them:
- A chronologically listed articles main content area, which often, the are organized into categories.
- An archive of older articles.
- A commenting ability for visitors about presented articles.
- Links to other related sites known as called a "blogroll".
One or more "feeds" like RSS, Atom or RDF files.
One of the most often used bloging application is WordPress.
Any installations on Unix/Linux OS based systems should be able to host WordPress under very common configurations.
- PHP version 4.2 or greater
- MySql version 4.0 or greater
- (Optional) Apache mod_rewrite module enabled (for clean URIs known as Permlinks)
- Your Website Username and Password
- Any text capable editor
- An FTP client software
- The web browser by choice
Pre installation requirements
Several things has to be checked prior to WordPress installation with the hosting provider where the application will reside.
A basic knowledge regarding the use of any text editor to edit the main configuration file is recommended. For Windows OS based clients the Notepad would be the sufficient.
Editing the configuration file is available through the WordPress Administration Panel as well although using a good text editor is highly recommended.
An FTP program to upload files is also required and it's basic use knowledge desirable.
Find all of this difficult to handle ? Purchase one of our VPS hosting plans and you will get free installation and consulting from our professionals